Sunday, October 3, 2010

Ready, Set, Learn!

I have a new title, "Technology Innovator". My other titles include, Kindergarten teacher, Literacy Liaison, Leadership Team member, mom, friend, fiancee. I like the idea of being an "Innovator", it makes me feel like a pioneer, like I am embarking into the unknown....and I guess I am. Along with this title I was given the use of an iPad. How thrilling is that! I felt like I had Christmas, my birthday and Valentine's Day all in one! Although we ( the other Technology Innovators in my district) were not given parameters on the use of "our" iPads, I knew IMMEDIATELY that I wanted to put it right into the hands of my Kindergarten kids. I was given my iPad on Friday, today is Sunday evening and I am ready to rock and roll down my unknown trek starting tomorrow morning. I went into school today to set up my "iPad Work Station". I wanted to make sure I called it a "Work" station, because although I can already hear my kids all clamoring to 'play' on our new iPad, I want to distinguish that, although it might be a LOT of fun(and from what I have reviewed....it IS) this is the "work" of Kindergarten. Of course as any teacher knows, the first thing I did was make a schedule so that every student will get their day to use the iPad. During our Literacy Block, I will sit with each student to familiarize them with the basic navigation (and care) of our new classroom technology. From there, I am going to watch and observe how it goes. The one thing I know abou these little "digital natives" that I have in my classroom is that they are going to LOVE this tool, and I expect that the educational implications will be immediate.

I am going to log(blog) as often as is feasible to chronicle my classroom experiences and impact on learning. My brain has been on fire with the possibilities...in this age of negative press on the state of our public education arena, I feel SO strongly that THIS really is 21st Century education, and the great, open expanse of educational pioneering is on the forefront.

No comments:

Post a Comment